1cabbage huge head (red or green, depending on what you like)
1/2 cred wine (please use what you would drink with!)
1/4 cstock (any kind you normally use)
1/2 cdried currants or raisins
1/4 corange juice, fresh (about the juice of an orange)
1 Tbsporange zest (zest before you juice so you only use one orange)
·salt to taste
·pepper to taste
How to Make Drunken Cabbage
- Peel outer leaves from cabbage (save for cabbage rolls) and wash cabbage. Cut in quarters and shred. Prep the orange as well.
- Put currants (or raisins) in a bowl and pour the red wine over the top. Let set for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add stock and orange juice to large pot (you'll need it when you start anyway) and bring to a simmer.
- Add the cabbage, raisins (and remaining wine they were soaked in) and the orange zest. Stir often with tongs (to make sure you turn the cabbage at the bottom)
- Cook until the cabbage is almost done (to your liking) then add the salt, pepper, and finish (toss in and coat the cabbage) with butter.