How to Make Dill Pickles
- Wash and gently scrub the pickling cucumbers
- Using hot sterilized quart jars, put 1-2 heads of dill, 1-2 sliced cloves of garlic and 2-3 dried red peppers in each jar.
- Combine the water, salt and vinegar in pan and bring to a boil. Pour over packed cucumbers in each jar, leaving 1/2 inch head space so that jars will seal correctly.
- Put 1/4 teaspoon of alum in each jar prior to sealing. Process in a hot water bath for 25 minutes.
- **We like to add carrot and celery sticks, and sliced onion in addition to the cucumber.