Deep Fried Watermelon!
With a big family like Great Grandmother Sullivan had... you use everything you can and don't waste anything! (She had at least 15 children!!).
This is good at every meal time... and snacking...
Eat it as is... or with a favorite dip, salsa or pasta sauce.
- 1 large
- watermelon rind, (peeled and cut into 1 -2 inch triangles, sticks or cubes)
- 4 Tbsp
- water to cover
- 1 c
- 1 Tbsp
- 2 large
- 1 c
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c
- bread crumbs, dry
- 4 - 6
- inches deep vegetable oil
- pasta sauce, salsa, sour cream, ranch dip, onion dip (your favorites)
MILK AND EGG COATING
BREAD CRUMB COATING
OIL FOR FRYING
LINKS TO WATERMELON RIND RECIPES
How to Make Deep Fried Watermelon!
- 1Peel the watermelon, cut into triangles, sticks or cubes (small is better). Put in a bowl and cover with water. Sprinkle with salt. Refrigerate overnight.
- 2Drain and rinse the melon in a colander. Let drain.
- 3Beat together the milk and egg coating. Set aside.
- 4Mix together the flour coating. Set aside.
- 5Put the bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
- 6Heat the cooking oil, about 4 -6 inches deep in a sauce pan or deep fryer.
- 7Dip the melon rind into milk and egg mixture, then in the flour. Back into the milk, then into the bread crumbs.
- 8Fry in the oil about 2 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Remove from oil and place on paper towel lined dish. Taste... if it needs more salt and pepper, do so to taste. Serve hot.
- 9*** You can also sprinkle with garlic powder and parmesan cheese.