Deb's Fried Green Tomatoes
- 2 large
- green tomatoes
- eggs, whole & beaten
- 1/4 c
- cooking oil/olive oil
- 1/2-3/4 c
- parmesan cheese, grated works best
- 1 Tbsp
- basil, dried or fresh
- 1/4 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 dash(es)
- sea salt, finely ground
- 1 pinch
- black pepper
How to Make Deb's Fried Green Tomatoes
- 1In a shallow frying pan heat oil over medium heat until you see tiny bubbles around the bottom of a wooden spoon or a toothpick...this is "Rachael Rays" secret to telling if the oil is hot enough or not. :-) It really works :-)
I normally do this after I get everything else prepared...that way the oil is not getting over heated.
- 2Slice the green tomatoes into even thin (but not too thin) slices. I slice them to 1/8" thickness.
- 3in a pie pan mix the parmesan cheese, basil, garlic powder, salt & pepper together.
- 4In another medium bowl whisk together the eggs until well blended.
- 5Soak the tomato slices in the egg mixture for at least 2 minutes.
- 6Dip the egg-soaked tomato slices in the Parmesan cheese mixture, coating both sides.
- 7Carefully place tomato slices in the heated oil one at a time, leaving enough room in the pan so you can easily but gently flip the slices over slowly...this goes fast after the oil is heated so watch that the tomatoes do not start to burn; if they do, then turn down the heat and/or start with fresh oil. You don't want brown looking tomatoes.
- 8Cook to the desired doneness and test with a fork. I remove these and place them on a pretty plate after both sides are a golden brown (not dark brown). Enjoy!