Cucumber & red onion salad with dill
Irisa Raina 9
This is an updated version of what I grew up eating. My mom use to make cucumbers with sour cream.
- two cucumbers “ washed “ not peeled
- 1 medium red onion
- 4 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar for the onions
- 1 teaspoon dill “ divided in ½ “
- 3 tablespoons sour cream drained
- 6 ounces greek yogurt “ unflavored “ drained
- white sugar “ amount is up to you “ for the yogurt & sour cream
How to Make Cucumber & red onion salad with dill
- 1Put the yogurt and sour cream in a coffee filter over a strainer in the refrigerator and drain till the liquid has all drained out, usually takes 30 ~ 60 minutes.
- 3In a colander put the cucumbers and sprinkle the salt over the cucumbers and place in the sink to drain for at least 1 hour.
- 5After 15 minutes drain the onions “ do not rinse “ and put them in the refrigerator.
- 6After 1 hour swish the cucumbers in a bowl of very cold water getting as much of the salt off as you can, drain. Deepening on how much salt gets removed you may need to do this step twice. Drain in a colander till all the liquid has stopped draining.
- 8Carefully toss the cucumbers and onions in a large bowl.
- 9Add the dill and toss carefully.
- 11Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.