Creamed Peas And Onions
These are great for Thanksgiving!
- 2 c
- whole milk
- whole cloves
- bay leaf
- 1 lb
- pearl onions ( about 2 cups) peeled, trimmed or 1 lb frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 3 Tbsp
- unsalted butter, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp
- kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp
- ground nutmeg
- 2 - 1 lb
- bags frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 c
- creme fraiche, whole milk greek yogurt, sour cream..i use sour cream
How to Make Creamed Peas And Onions
- 1Bring milk, cloves and bay leaf to a boil in a small saucepan; reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes to let flavors meld.
Strain into a medium bowl; discard solids. Cover milk and keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile place onions in a large skillet; add water to half cover the onions,( about a cup). Add 1 Tbsp. butter, 1 tsp salt, and sugar. Cook over medium - high heat, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and onions are golden brown, about 12 minutes.
Gently transfer to large plate.
- 3Melt remaining 2 Tbsp, butte in same skillet over medium heat; add flour and whisk to combine. Cook stirring occasionally and scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan, for 1 minute.
Whisk in reserved milk, adding 1/4 cupful at a time. Cook stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir remaining 1/2 tsp salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add peas and onions; stir until heated through. Gently fold in, (cream, yogurt, or sour cream)..Serve