Creamed Cabbage Variations
So here are some variations to a basic baked cabbage recipe that play with different flavors and food combinations.
- 1 medium
- head green cabbage
- 1 can(s)
- condensed soup, see variations below
- 1 c
- half & half or milk
- 2 pinch
- mixed herbs, see variations below
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 c
- bread crumbs (optional)
- 1/4 c
- grated cheese, see variations below
- tomato soup, italian herbs, parmesan cheese
- mushroom soup, chopped mushrooms, herbs du provence blend, swiss cheese
- cheddar cheese or tomato soup, chili powder, cheddar cheese
- 1 pound cooked and crumbled sausage, onion or potato soup, parmesan cheese
- chopped smoked sausage, tomato soup, thyme and rosemary, mozzarella cheese
How to Make Creamed Cabbage Variations
- 1First, cook cabbage in boiling salted water until fairly soft but not mushy, about 15 minutes. Drain and place in a casserole dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a saucepan, stir soup over medium heat, and slowly stir in cream or milk until smooth. Add the mixed herbs and cook soup until hot and just comes to a boil. Pour soup mixture evenly over cabbage.
- 3Top with bread crumbs (if desired) and grated cheese. Bake for 25 minutes until sauce is bubbly and topping is melted and browned.
- 4If using sausage in the recipe, add it to the cabbage in the casserole dish, then pour the sauce over and continue as above.