Christmas Savoury Strudel1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil
- chopped onions
- garlic cloves, crushed
- 28 oz
- tomatoes, canned with juice
- 1 tsp
- dried basil
- 8 oz
- button mushrooms, sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 10 oz
- phyllo sheets
- 4 oz
- melted butter
- 3.5 oz
- cashew pieces, toasted
How to Make Christmas Savoury Strudel
- 1Heat the oil in a fairly large saucepan, add the onions and cook them, with the lid on the pan, for about 10 minutes, until they are tender but not browned.
- 2Add the garlic, the tomatoes together with their liquid, the basil and the wine.
- 3Let the mixture simmer gently without a lid on the pan, stirring from time to time, until the liquid has disappeared and it is quite thick - this will take about 20 minutes.
- 4Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes or so, or until the mushrooms are tender and any liquid which they make has boiled away.
- 5Remove from the heat and season to taste.
- 6When the filling mixture has cooled, you can assemble the strudel, which can then be cooked straight away, or kept in the fridge for a few hours until you're ready, or in the freezer for at least a month.
- 7Preheat the oven to 400.
- 8If you have the type of phyllo pastry which is long and narrow - about 12 x 8 inches - lay two sheets side by side, overlapping them slightly where they join.
- 9If you have the type which is quite large - about 12 inches or so square - lay out one sheet.
- 10Either way, brush the surface with a little melted butter and then sprinkle with a third of the nuts.
- 11Put another layer of phyllo pastry on top, brush with butter, and scatter with nuts.
- 12Repeat with another layer, then a final layer of phyllo pastry, which you just brush with butter.
- 13Now tip the tomato filling mixture on top and spread it to about 1 inch of the edges.
- 14Fold the edges over, to enclose the edge of the filling then, starting from one of the widest edges, roll the whole thing up like a Swiss Roll, trying not to let it break.
- 15Brush with melted butter and garnish with some shreds or shapes of phyllo pastry.
- 16Put the strudel into the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.