1 pkgbacon, 1/2 inch dice
1 mediumonion, 1/4 inch dice (sweet is best)
1red bell pepper, 1/4 in dice
4 can(s)whole kernel corn, drained
·salt & pepper if desired, i just use pepper.
1 1/2 ccheddar cheese, shredded
How to Make Ranchero Corn
- In large saute pan, brown diced bacon until just crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels, set aside.
- Reserve about 3 tablespoons of bacon fat in pan and discard the rest. Add diced onion and red bell peppers to pan with bacon fat and cook over medium heat until onions just start to caramelize.
- Add drained corn and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes.
- If you are making to serve at later time or day, refridgerate at this point. Bacon and cheese should be added just before serving because the bacon will get soggy and the cheese will get hard.
- Add bacon, salt & pepper if desired, stir and cook until heated through. Cover with cheddar cheese, cover with lid, remove from heat.
- Best served as soon as cheese is melted.