Chattanooga Cornbread Salad
It is from my new cookbook, A Skillet Full, by the Lodge Manufacturing Company.
- 8-inch skillet of cornbread, cooled and crumbled
- 1/2 lb
- bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
- 2 medium
- bell peppers, chopped
- 4 medium
- tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 c
- sweet pickles, chopped
- 1 small
- bunch green onions, sliced (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c
- 1/4 c
- pickle juice
- 1 Tbsp
How to Make Chattanooga Cornbread Salad
- 1Layer the ingredients in a large glass bowl, beginning with the crumbled cornbread, bacon, peppers, tomatoes, pickles, and green onions if used. Lightly add salt and pepper between the layers - but don't overdo the salt.
- 2Mix the mayonnaise, pickle juice, and sugar and drizzle over top of cornbread mixture when ready to serve. May be refrigerated overnight if desired.