☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 mediumcauliflower (approximately 1 lb/450g)
2 ozall purpose flour
1 tspmustard powder, optional
50 gcheddar cheese, grated (plus extra for sprinkling on top)
·fresh ground pepper
How to Make Cauliflower Cheese
- Heat the oven to 395F/200C/Gas 7.
- Remove the green outer leaves from the cauliflower and steam whole over a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower from the heat and leave to cool.
- Place the butter and flour into a large saucepan. Over a low heat stir the butter and flour until the butter has melted and the flour is incorporated.
- Add the salt and mustard powder and continue stirring for 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium and add the milk in one go and whisk furiously until all a smooth sauce is formed.
- Continue stirring until the sauce is thickened and glossy (about 5 minutes).
- If the sauce is very thick add a little more milk, the sauce should be thick but still runny.
- Add the grated cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat.
- Break the cauliflower florets from the thick, central stalk taking care not to break it into tiny pieces.
- Place the florets in a baking dish large enough to hold all the florets in one layer.
- Pour the thickened cheese sauce over the cauliflower ensuring all the florets are covered.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and a good twist of black pepper.
- Bake in the hot oven until the sauce is bubbling and golden brown on the top, approximately 30 minutes.