Cauliflower Au Gratin
Funny how as a child the only way I could gag cauliflower down was with ketchup. Now it is a favorite. Just steamed is great, but when paired with Gruyere or Swiss, oh my!
- head cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 2 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1 c
- 6 oz
- gruyere or swiss cheese
- freshly grated nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Cauliflower Au Gratin
- 1Cut the cauliflower into small flowerets and steam until just fork tender (about five minutes in the microwave).
- 2Prepare a bechamel sauce: Melt the butter in a small saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook on low heat stirring for several minutes, or until the roux just starts to brown. Whisk in the milk gradually to form a smooth sauce. Warm until just simmering.
- 3Remove the sauce from the heat and gradually stir in about half of the cheese, the pepper and the nutmeg.
- 4Place the steamed cauliflower in a buttered baking dish and cover evenly with the cheese sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 25 minutes at 350° or until golden brown.