3 1/2 lbcauliflower, trimmed, florets
6 Tbspunsalted butter
3 Tbspall purpose flour
2 chalf and half
7 Tbspprepared horseradish
1 tspwhite wine vinegar
1 cfontina cheese, packed, grated
1/2 Tbspdijon mustard
2 cfresh french breadcrumbs
How to Make Cauliflower And Horseradish Gratin
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Steam cauliflower until crisp-tender, about 9 minutes.
- Transfer to 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir 2 minutes (do not brown).
- Gradually whisk in half and half.
- Cook until sauce boils and thickens, whisking constantly, about 4 minutes.
- Mix in 5 tablespoons horseradish and vinegar.
- Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over cauliflower and mix to coat.
- Sprinkle cheese over.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill).
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat.
- Mix in mustard and remaining 2 tablespoons horseradish.
- Add breadcrumbs; stir until crumbs are golden brown, about 9 minutes.
- Sprinkle over cauliflower.
- Bake until cauliflower is heated through, about 25 minutes.