This is a recipe from a cook known as Nativeprincess. The photo is my own.
2 cvegetable broth
3/4 clong grain rice - not minute rice
2 clight sour cream
2 can(s)(4oz. each) diced green chilies - mild
1/2 csliced green onions
1 tspdried oregano
1/2 tspkosher salt
1/4 tspfresh ground pepper
2 Tbspfresh chopped parsley - i used 1 tbls. parsley + 1 tbls. chives
1 smallzucchini - sliced thin
3tomatoes - seeded, sliced, drained
4 cgrated monterey jack cheese - i used a combo of cheddar, mozzerella and parmesan
How to Make California Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring veg broth to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat to low, cook covered until liquid is absorbed, about 20 - 40 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine, sour cream, chilies, onions, oregano, salt, pepper, parsley and chives, if using them.
- In a greased 2 qt. casserole, add half of the follwing ingredients in layers: rice, sour cream mixture, zucchini, tomatoes and cheese. Repeat, ending with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, about 45 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes to firm up, before serving.
- Serve warm.