This is a recipe from a cook known as Nativeprincess. The photo is my own.
- 2 c
- vegetable broth
- 3/4 c
- long grain rice - not minute rice
- 2 c
- light sour cream
- 2 can(s)
- (4oz. each) diced green chilies - mild
- 1/2 c
- sliced green onions
- 1 tsp
- dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh chopped parsley - i used 1 tbls. parsley + 1 tbls. chives
- 1 small
- zucchini - sliced thin
- tomatoes - seeded, sliced, drained
- 4 c
- grated monterey jack cheese - i used a combo of cheddar, mozzerella and parmesan
How to Make California Casserole
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring veg broth to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat to low, cook covered until liquid is absorbed, about 20 - 40 minutes. Set aside.
- 3In a medium bowl combine, sour cream, chilies, onions, oregano, salt, pepper, parsley and chives, if using them.
- 4In a greased 2 qt. casserole, add half of the follwing ingredients in layers: rice, sour cream mixture, zucchini, tomatoes and cheese. Repeat, ending with cheese.
- 5Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, about 45 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes to firm up, before serving.
- 6Serve warm.