Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Hazelnut Butter
FOR THE BUTTER:
1/3 cuphazelnuts (about 1 oz)
4 Tbspunsalted butter, softened
2 Tbspfreshly grated orange zest
1 1/2 Tbspfresh thyme, lightly chopped
1 Tbspfresh squeezed orange juice
1/4 tspkosher salt
FOR THE BRUSSELS SPROUTS:
1/4 cupextra-virgin olive oil
1 3/4 lbbrussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered (or, if very large, cut into 6 wedges)
1 1/2 tspkosher salt
1/2 cuplow-sodium chicken broth
How to Make Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Hazelnut Butter
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- FOR THE BUTTER: Place hazelnuts on a small baking sheet. Roast in the oven until they are a deep golden-brown and the skins begin to peel away, about 5 to 6 minutes. Let hazelnuts cool, then wrap them in a clean cloth and rubbing the hazelnuts with your hand to remove remaining skins while they're still slightly warm. Let the hazelnuts cool for about 10 minutes.
The hazelnut butter can be made up to 2 days in advance, tightly wrapped and refrigerated.
- Place 1/4 cup of the hazelnuts in a small food processor and pulse until they are very finely ground but not turning into butter.
Coarsely chop the remaining hazelnuts, and set aside for a garnish.
- In a small bowl, thoroughly combine the finely chopped hazelnuts, butter, orange zest, thyme, honey, orange juice and salt. Set aside, or refrigerate if not using immediately.
- FOR THE BRUSSELS SPROUTS: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the Brussels sprouts and salt, and stir well. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally and then more frequently as the sprouts begin to brown, until all of the sprouts are golden-brown on most sides, about 15 minutes.
- Add the broth, cover the pan and cook for 2 minutes or until the broth has reduced. Remove the cover, raise the heat to high, and boil for 1 to 2 minutes or until most of the remaining liquid is evaporated. Remove skillet from the heat, and add the hazelnut butter, a tablespoon at a time, and stir into the sprouts. Season with salt.
- Transfer the sprouts to a warm serving dish and garnish with the seasoned hazelnuts.