Brussels sprouts gratin
- 2 pints brussels sprouts, about 1 1/2 pounds, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 2 cups milk at room temperature
- 5 ounces gruyere cheese, grated, about 1 cup grated
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
Make the sauce by melting the butter and flour together in a pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until smooth and bubbly, about one minute. Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to cook, whisking frequently until thick and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add three quarter of the cheese and stir until melted and smooth. Season the sauce while the salt and heavily with pepper.