Brussels sprouts gratin
- 2 pints brussels sprouts, about 1 1/2 pounds, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 2 cups milk at room temperature
- 5 ounces gruyere cheese, grated, about 1 cup grated
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
How to Make Brussels sprouts gratin
- 1preheat oven to 400.
- 2Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook 5 to 7 minutes until bright green and beginning to soften. Drop into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
Make the sauce by melting the butter and flour together in a pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until smooth and bubbly, about one minute. Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to cook, whisking frequently until thick and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add three quarter of the cheese and stir until melted and smooth. Season the sauce while the salt and heavily with pepper.
- 3Halve the Brussels sprouts through the core and put them in an even layer in a 2 quart baking dish. Pour the sauce over the sprouts and evenly top with remaining cheese. Bake in the center of the oven for 10 to 15 minutes until golden bubbling on top.