Brussels Sprouts Gratin
1 1/2 lbbrussels sprouts
8 slicebacon, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
1 mediumonion, thinly sliced
2/3 cheavy cream
1/2 tspdried thyme
1/2 tspground black pepper
1/4 tspground nutmeg
1/2 cseasoned breadcrumbs
2 Tbspgrated parmesan cheese
2 Tbspbutter, diced
How to Make Brussels Sprouts Gratin
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add brussels sprouts, cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water until cool. Cut large sprouts in half and set aside. I keep the small sprouts whole.
- In the same pot, cook bacon until browned; 4 minutes. Drain on paper towel. Remove excess fat from pot.
- In the same pot, add the sliced onion and cook until softened, 3 - 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir sprouts and bacon in with the onion. Stir to mix well. Transfer to a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.
- In a bowl, combine heavy cream, salt, thyme, pepper and nutmeg. Pour over sprouts mixture.
- In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs with the parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over the sprouts. Dot with butter.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 30 minutes. If baking from room temp, bake for 45 min to one hour.