Braised Brussels Sprouts
How to Make Braised Brussels Sprouts
- Rinse brussels sprouts, trim them and remove any damaged outer leaves. Cut sprouts in half (or quarter them if they are extra large).
- Chop bacon into small pieces. Using food grade scissors makes it easy - just cut into approximately 1/4" wide strips, cutting horizontally.
- Chop shallots into medium pieces. Don't cut them so fine that they will disappear during the cooking process!
- Fry bacon over medium heat in a deep skillet until golden brown and crispy. Remove bacon and set to the side. Add shallots to the bacon fat, frying until golden. This should take 1-2 minutes depending on how hot the grease is.
- Add the sprouts to the bacon fat and shallots. Fry until the sprouts are beginning to brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup heavy cream & pepper (to taste). Reduce heat, cover & simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally and add cream as needed.
- Check sprouts for desired tenderness. If they're done, stir bacon into the pan. Add lemon juice and stir thoroughly.
- Serve immediately.