If I didn't have bacon on hand, I'd substitute leftover ham or approximately 4 Tbs. bacon grease.
- 1 lb
- fresh or frozen black-eyed peas
- 3 - 4 slice
- bacon, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 tsp
- dry, minced onion
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp
How to Make Black-eyed Peas
- 1In a 3-quart pot over medium-high heat, cook 1" pieces of bacon partially.
Be certain to stir from time to time so that it does not burn.
(Note: I cover my pot to reduce splatter.)
- 2Add peas and onion; stir. Then add enough water to completely cover peas.
Cover and bring to a boil.
- 3Once the water is boiling, reduce heat and simmer for approximately one hour, stirring occasionally, and making certain water still covers the peas.
- 4During the last 10 minutes of cooking, season with salt and pepper. (Adjust to personal taste.)