Bitter Melon Stir Fry
1 lblight green bitter melon (asian markets carry them)
1 Tbspminced garlic
1/2 tspchili pepper flakes
2 Tbspoil (for frying)
2 Tbspsoy sauce
1 Tbspred wine or balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsppowdered sweetener
·a few drops sesame oil
How to Make Bitter Melon Stir Fry
- To prepare the bitter melon, cut in half length-wise. Remove the seeds and clean out the white pith inside. Cut into slices on a slant.
- Sprinkle the slices with some salt and place in a collander to drain for about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl mash the chili pepper flakes and the garlic.
- Heat a wok or deep saute pan on medium high and add 2 tablespoons of oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic/chili mixture. Stir-fry briefly until aromatic (about 30 seconds).
- Add the bitter melon, and stir fry for 2 minutes, then splas with the balsamic vinegar and soy sauce. Stir in the sweetener and cook for 1-2 more minutes until the melon is browing and softened.
- Stir in a couple of drops of sesame oil if desired.
- Serve Hot and Enjoy!