Big B’s Baked Beans
- 1 lb. applewood smoked bacon, chopped, about 2 cups
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce or 1 cup canned peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. molasses
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cans white bans, drained and rinsed, 32 oz. each
- 1 cup chipotle barbecue sauce, recipe follows
How to Make Big B’s Baked Beans
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Line a metal tray with paper towels.
- 2Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon til crisp. Remove with slotted spoon. Drain bacon on paper towels.
- 3Add onion to bacon fat in pan and cook,stirring til translucent, about 3 minutes.
- 4Add the tomato sauce and bring mixture to a boil. Add brown sugar, molasses and cayenne pepper and stir til well mixed. Add vinegar land stir to mix. scraping bottom of skillet to loosen any remaining bits of bacon. Add beans, sauce and bacon and heat through.
- 5Spoon mixture into a 3 quart ovenproof dish and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes or til mixture is thick and bubbly.
- 6Chipotle Barbecue Sauce:
Halve a 7 oz. can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
2 cups sweet mild barbecue sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. molasses
Add chipotles to food processor or blender. Puree til smooth. Add barbecue sauce, ketchup, vinegar and molasses. Puree til smooth. Strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds. Set aside til ready to use. Makes 3 cups