How to Make Baked Zucchini
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- Cut the zucchini into 1/4 inch slices. Season on both sides with salt and pepper and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Arrange zucchini slices on baking sheets in a single layer and sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned and easily pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven.
- Lower the temperature to 375 degrees.
- Place the marinara sauce in a blender and pulse a few times until it is coarsely pureed.
- To assemble the dish, oil a 2-quart gratin dish with olive oil.
- Spread 1/4 cup tomato sauce over bottom of dish.
- Arrange a third of the zucchini in an even layer over tomato sauce.
- Spoon a third of remaining sauce over zucchini and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Repeat with 2 more layers, ending with 1/4 cup Parmesan. Drizzle on remaining tablespoon olive oil.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until bubbling and browned on the top and edges.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.