Baked Greens and Onions Au Gratin
- olive oil cooking spray
- 3 c
- very packed when measuring, greens with tough stems removed (swiss chard, kale, mustard, beet greens, or any kind of greens)
- 1 c
- fresh onion, sliced and then separated into individual rings
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1/2 c
- scant measurement, cream
- 1 1/3 c
- grated parmesan cheese (separate 1 cup from the 1/3 cup)
- salt and pepper to taste
- spaghetti squash, yellow or zucchini squash, potatoes, or other vegetables can be added; spaghetti squash adds nice texture; if adding spaghetti squash, bake the squash first; if adding potatoes, adjust the baking time.
How to Make Baked Greens and Onions Au Gratin
- 2Begin with a shallow dish sprayed with olive oil spray, (mine was 8X6 inch but 8X8 would work too). Layer 2 cups (tightly packed cups) of greens in the bottom of the dish. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1/3 cup of parmesan over this and then pour on 1/2 cup of cream. The cream will sink to the bottom.
- 3On top of this, layer most of the cup of fresh onion cut into ringlets. Also, add all of the minced garlic. Then repeat with the last cup of packed greens, the rest of the onions and a bit more salt and pepper. You can always salt more later if needed, but if you oversalt, you can't undo it.
Carefully, top with the cup of grated parmesan cheese, and bake 20-25 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. (It will be very full if using an 8X6 inch pan, but it cooks down.)
- 4Note: Prep time will be reduced greatly if you don't have to wash freshly picked greens like I had to do.