Blue Ribbon Recipe
Try this recipe the next time you are looking for an impressive side dish. It's a lovely way to serve asparagus, tucked away inside a scrumptious pastry. The Test Kitchen
2 largeonions, finely chopped
1 stickbutter (plus more, if desired/needed)
1 cfine bread crumbs
8phyllo pastry sheets
1 1/2 lbtrimmed asparagus, chopped, cooked until tender
1/4 cfinely chopped parsley
YOGURT AND HERB DRESSING
1/2 cplain yogurt
2 Tbspmint, chopped
How to Make Asparagus Strudel
- Preheat oven to 400. Saute the onions in 2 tablespoons of the butter for 10 minutes, until soft but not browned.
- In another pan, heat 4 tablespoons of the butter and saute the crumbs until crisp.
- Melt the remaining butter in a small saucepan. Spread one phyllo pastry sheet out on a large board and brush with butter. Put another pastry sheet on top and brush with more butter. Repeat until all sheets have been used.
- Spread the onions evenly on top of the pastry, keeping the edges clear.
- Put the asparagus over the top of the onions and sprinkle with three-quarters of the crumbs and the parsley.
- Fold over 2 inches all around the pastry, then fold the long edges over to make a roll. Place the roll, seam side down, on a baking sheet and bend it around into a horseshoe shape.
- Brush with remaining melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining crumbs. Bake 40 minutes or until golden.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs, lemon slices and asparagus tips.
- Combine yogurt and herb dressing ingredients and serve with strudel.