Blue Ribbon Recipe
Try this recipe the next time you are looking for an impressive side dish. It's a lovely way to serve asparagus, tucked away inside a scrumptious pastry. The Test Kitchen
- 2 large
- onions, finely chopped
- 1 stick
- butter (plus more, if desired/needed)
- 1 c
- fine bread crumbs
- phyllo pastry sheets
- 1 1/2 lb
- trimmed asparagus, chopped, cooked until tender
- 1/4 c
- finely chopped parsley
- parsley sprigs
- lemon slices
- asparagus tips
- 1/2 c
- plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp
- mint, chopped
YOGURT AND HERB DRESSING
How to Make Asparagus Strudel
- 1Preheat oven to 400. Saute the onions in 2 tablespoons of the butter for 10 minutes, until soft but not browned.
- 2In another pan, heat 4 tablespoons of the butter and saute the crumbs until crisp.
- 3Melt the remaining butter in a small saucepan. Spread one phyllo pastry sheet out on a large board and brush with butter. Put another pastry sheet on top and brush with more butter. Repeat until all sheets have been used.
- 4Spread the onions evenly on top of the pastry, keeping the edges clear.
- 5Put the asparagus over the top of the onions and sprinkle with three-quarters of the crumbs and the parsley.
- 6Fold over 2 inches all around the pastry, then fold the long edges over to make a roll. Place the roll, seam side down, on a baking sheet and bend it around into a horseshoe shape.
- 7Brush with remaining melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining crumbs. Bake 40 minutes or until golden.
- 8Garnish with parsley sprigs, lemon slices and asparagus tips.
- 9Combine yogurt and herb dressing ingredients and serve with strudel.