Asparagus Gruyere Tart
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Is this not the prettiest presentation? And the robust flavor is just as impressive. These would be perfect to serve at a cocktail party or maybe a ladies luncheon... any time you want to make a tasty splash!
And do check out member Sherry Parfait's Blue Ribbon Pan-Seared Asparagus for a quick and easy way to get perfectly-cooked veggies. The Test Kitchen
- 1 pkg
- frozen puff pastry (phyllo dough)
- flour for work surface
- 5 1/2 oz
- gruyere cheese (2 cups shredded)
- 1 1/2 lb
- fresh asparagus
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Asparagus Gruyere Tart
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Flour surface and roll puff pastry out into a 12 X 7 inch rectangle. (You can adjust it for your dish)
- 2With a sharp knife, cut 1 inch in from the edges every 1/2 inch over so you can braid the edges over for prettiness or leave straight as it keeps from puffing up too much.
- 3Bake until very lightly golden about 10-15 minutes depending on your oven. Watch it carefully!
- 4Remove from oven, sprinkle with Gruyere. Trim the bottoms of the asparagus spears to fit across the shell in a single layer. I alternate ends and tips sometimes. Brush with oil, season with salt & pepper and bake until tender 20 to 25 minutes. I will use Sherry Parfait's method of pre-cooking spears in olive oil in a skillet, just a little first to soften them before I bake them.