Acorn Squash with Couscous
Made a change or two. This great as a main dish or can be used as a side.
1acorn squash, cut in half and seeds removed
2-3 Tbspbutter, melted
1 cvegetable broth
1/4 tspground ginger
2 Tbspcurrants (or raisins, rough chopped)
1 smallapple, cored and diced (i used a gala apple)
2green onions, finely sliced
·salt and pepper
How to Make Acorn Squash with Couscous
- Preheated oven to 400. Brush squash with a small amount of the melted butter, reserving the rest. Place squash, cut side down, on a baking sheet and bake 20-30 minutes, or until a thin bladed knife easily pierces the squash.
- While the squash is roasting, place the couscous in a medium sized mixing bowl. Stir in cinnamon, ginger, salt, pepper and sugar. Place the broth in a microwave safe measuring cup and bring to a boil, about 1-2 minutes on high. Pour over couscous, cover and let stand 5 minutes or so.
- Fluff couscous with a fork. Stir in almonds, currants, green onion and apple. Check seasonings.
- Drizzle the inside of the squash with the rest of the melted butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spoon the couscous into the roasted squash and serve.
- Notes: you can use any winter squash that you like.
For a side dish: peel and cube the squash, drizzle with a little oil or butter, then roast. Add the squash to the couscous filling when you add the apples.