Versatile Squash Casserole
- 4 Tbsp
- butter or margarine
- 4 c
- sliced yellow squash (may use zucchini or other kind)
- small to medium size onion, chopped
- eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 c
- grated cheddar cheese
- 1 c
- milk (may use 1 small can of carnation canned milk)
- 1/2 tsp
- each - salt and pepper
- 2 c
- peppridge farm seasoned bread crumbs (stuffing mix) see note below
How to Make Versatile Squash Casserole
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Melt Butter or margarine in a skillet and add sliced squash and onion. Cook on medium heat until squash is still a little firm, but getting tender.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, break eggs and whisk lightly, then add milk and the cheddar cheese. Blend well. Then add squash, onion with butter and stir it in. Add one cup of the seasoned bread stuffing mix, and combine.
- 4Spray a 9 X 13 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray and pour squash mixture into the dish, spreading out evenly. Top with remaining stuffing mix. Bake in preheated oven 45 minutes. Top should be lightly browned and edges bubbly. Let set 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!!
- 5NOTE: Suggestions for substitutions - If you prefer, instead of using stuffing mix, you may use one sleeve of Ritz crackers or saltines, crushed. Use half in the squash mixture and the other half for topping. And remember, you can use other kinds of squash like zucchini, or Mexican calabacita, or if you like eggplant, use peeled and cubed eggplant, then follow the rest of the directions. You may also use a little Seasoned Salt if desired.