Recipe and photo adapted from Recipe.com.
2 pkg(10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
2 Tbspchopped onion
1 can(s)(5 ounces) evaporated milk
1 pkg(8 ounces) cream cheese, cut into pieces
1 Tbspfresh minced jalapeno pepper (optional)
1 tspworcestershire sauce
3/4 tspcelery salt
3/4 tspgarlic salt or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
·cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
3/4 cpanko style bread crumbs (optional)
2 Tbspmelted butter (optional)
How to Make Spinach Madeleine
- Cook spinach, drain and reserve cooking liquid.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
Add flour, stirring until mixture is smooth and blended.
Add onion and cook until soft, but not brown.
- In a measuring cup, combine milk with enough reserved spinach liquor to make 1 cup liquid.
Add liquid slowly to onion-flour mixture, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
Add cream cheese, jalapeno pepper, worcestershire sauce, celery salt, garlic salt, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
Stir until cheese is melted.
Combine with cooked spinach.
- Place mixture in a greased 2 quart casserole dish.
Combine crumbs and melted butter.
Scatter over spinach mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until bread crumbs are browned.