Spicy Candied Pickled Okra
4 c5% white or cider vinegar
1 Tbsppickling spice
1 tspred pepper flakes
1/2 cpickling salt or kosher salt
1/2 tspcelery seed
1/2 tspblack pepper corns
6chili peppers/ cut small slice in side of each
How to Make Spicy Candied Pickled Okra
- Sterilize 6 wide mouth jars, lids and rings
place jars on kitchen towel on counter/ leave lids and rings in hot water. At this time fill water bath canner with water and bring to boil....when comes to a boil turn heat down until jars are filled and ready for bathing.
- Wash and drain okra, trim stems close to the body of the okra. Peel 12 cloves of garlic set aside. If you are using chili peppers wash and cut a 1/2 inch slit into one side of each pepper.
- Heat the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Turn heat to low to keep hot while packing jars.
- Put 2 cloves garlic in each jar. 1 chili pepper per jar( if using). Pack the jars with the okra, one up, one down pack jars tight. Tops of the okra should be 1/2 inch from top of jars. Pour hot vinegar mix to with in 1/4 inch of the top of jar. Run thin knife between okra and side of jar to remove bubbles. Add more liquid if need. Just use equal parts vinegar and water. No need to heat.
- Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean cloth. Place sterilized lid and ring on each jar. Tighten firmly but not too tight.
- Place jars in water bath with 1 to 2 inches covering tops of jars. You may need to remove some water to keep pot from running over. Bring to a boil and process 15 minutes. Carefully remove from bath to towel on counter. Allow to cool undisturbed until jars are sealed.