Scalloped Tomatoes Dee Dee's Way
The original recipe comes from Cecil McMillan's "The Once in a Blue Moon" cookbook that was published in 1979. Cecil also owned the Blue Moon Restaurant in Montgomery, AL (my home town). Back in the day, that is where all the bridal luncheons were booked.
After Cecil sold his restaurant I had the pleasure of eating his good food at the bank I worked for. He was hired as the manager of our banks cafeteria, how lucky we were to have him.
Over the years I've tweaked this recipe to my liking. Hope you enjoy.
1 1/2 csoft bread, cubed 1/4 inch pieces
2(14.5 -oz) cans petite diced tomatoes, drained (you can use fresh tomatoes, about 2 cups well drained)
1/2 largeonion, finely chopped
2 Tbspbutter, melted
1/4 tspbasil, dried
1 Tbspworcestershire sauce
·salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cpanko bread crumbs
1 Tbspparmesan cheese
1 tspwhite truffle oil (can use melted butter)
How to Make Scalloped Tomatoes Dee Dee's Way
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9-inch deep dish pie plate with PAM or butter dish. Or use dish close to same size.
- Place bread cubes in bottom of prepared pie plate.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine tomatoes, onions, melted butter, sugar, basil and worcestershire sauce; add salt and pepper to taste. Pour this mixture over bread cubes and toss gently.
- TOPPING: Combine all ingredient; stir to mix well. Sprinkle over tomato mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until top is lightly browned. Serve