Rosemary Bacon Brussels Sprouts & New Potatoes
Blue Ribbon Recipe
The combination of bacon and potatoes really takes the Brussels sprouts up several notches. This is a really good side dish. I have some friends that I cannot wait to serve this dish to. The Test Kitchen
2 lbBrussel sprouts ( may use frozen)
5 sprig(s)rosemary, large/fresh (leave whole)
6 slicebacon ( good hickory smoked or apple smoked)
1 lbnew red potatoes, small and quartered
2 ozolive oil, light
1sweet onion (small) quartered and thinly sliced
How to Make Rosemary Bacon Brussels Sprouts & New Potatoes
- Set oven to Preheat to 400 degrees.
- If using frozen Brussels sprouts, thaw first. I have thawed them in the microwave with no damage to the texture. Cut off the hard ends, then cut any large ones in half. Set aside.
- Wash your rosemary and new potatoes. Cut the small potatoes into quarters. Pat the rosemary and potatoes dry. Place the potatoes and rosemary in an oven proof Pyrex type container, spreading them in a single layer, rosemary under and on top of potatoes. Pour the olive oil on top, sprinkle with coarse ground salt. Mix very well. Cover, and place in the oven. (Baking will take about 15 minutes, the idea is to get the aroma of the rosemary going and for the potatoes to start getting soft.)
- Using a large skillet, I use a 16" cast iron, I like how it browns/caramelizes, place your bacon into the frying pan and begin frying at med low to medium heat. Render the fat from the bacon, and when bacon is done remove to paper towels to be crumbled prior to serving.
- Add Brussels sprouts to the bacon fat in the pan, and then the onions. Cook about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove potatoes and rosemary from oven. Mix very well. Leaving as much olive oil behind as you can, add the potatoes to the pan with sprouts and mix all together. Place rosemary on top and cover. You are going to cook at a nice sizzle (low medium to medium according to your stove) stirring frequently. Do your best to keep the rosemary intact.
- When sprouts are crisp tender, and the potatoes are soft through, remove the rosemary and discard. Sprinkle more coarse salt, along with coarse black pepper to taste.
- Crumble and mix in 3/4 of the bacon. Remove all to a serving bowl or plate, and crumble the rest of the bacon on top!! Serve :)