Roasted Root Vegetable Medley with Za'atar
- 4 large
- carrots, cut into 1" chunks (rainbow carrots: red, purple, orange, white and yellow carrots)
- 3 large
- yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1" chunks (peeled if desired)
- 3 medium
- golden beets, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- 1/2 small
- fennel bulb, sliced (minus the tops and fronds) (optional)
- 2 large
- shallots, peeled and either coarsely chopped or sliced
- 1/4 c
- blood orange olive oil (read *note below)
- 2 Tbsp
- za'atar spice
- 1 tsp
- coarse salt (kosher salt as an example)
- 1 large
- blood orange (navel, valencia or cara cara will work)
How to Make Roasted Root Vegetable Medley with Za'atar
- 1*Note: I don't have blood orange olive oil on hand and replaced it with slightly less than 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and juice of 1/2 cara cara orange. I also threw in two thick slices quartered of the cara cara orange to roast with the vegetables.
- 2Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, toss the root vegetables with the olive oil, za'atar spice and coarse salt. Spread the mixture evenly and in one layer on a parchment-lined jelly roll pan.
- 4Roast the vegetables for approximately 35-45 minutes or until vegetables are tender but still slightly firm.
If desired, garnish with fresh Italian parsley (cilantro will work as well.)
To serve as tacos for Takos Tuesday I used corn/flour tortillas, followed by a mix of arugula, baby spinach and butter lettuce, a large spoonful of the roasted vegetables, a combination of sharp white cheddar and Wensleydale cheese grated and some hot sauce (Marie Sharp's red habanero for me!)