- 2 large
- russet baking potatoes
- 1 lb
- lean ground beef
- 1 pkg
- lowery's taco seasoning
- 1 small
- white onion
- 1 medium
- jalapeno pepper
- 8 oz
- mexican blend grated cheese
- 1/2 stick
- 1 tsp
- sea salt
- 1 Tbsp
- smoked paprika (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste for potatoes
How to Make JUAN IN A MILLION POTATO BOATS (SALLYE))
- 1Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Wash potatoes and dry thoroughly
Rub each potato with oil and sprinkle generously with coarse salt
Prick with fork
Wrap each potato in a sheet of heavy duty foil
Place in oven and cook for approximately 45 minutes or until toothpick or skewer is easily inserted into the largest part of the potato.
- 2Peel onion and cut into quarters
Cut jalapeno in half, remove the stems, seeds and veins.
Place onions and peppers in food processor and pulse until finely diced
- 3Place heavy skillet (I use my cast iron) on medium high heat. When skillet is hot, throw in the salt, then add the ground beef, onions and jalapenos and paprika.
Stir often with wooden spoon to assure meat cooks evenly and to avoid burning.
When all the meat is grey, add the taco seasoning and water and turn heat down to low.
Simmer at least 30 minutes until almost all of liquid is absorbed. Add more liquid sparingly if needed before the 30 minutes is up.
Remove from heat, cover and set aside in a place where it will stay warm.
- 4When potatoes are done,remove from oven.
Do not remove from foil, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out most of the pulp into a bowl. Reserve peels .
Place peels arranged with cavity up in a baking dish (these will be your "boats").
- 5Cut butter into small pieces and place in potato pulp,
Add salt and pepper to taste (about 1 teaspoon each)
Mash potatoes until all butter is melted and well blended and potatoes are smooth and fluffy.
- 6Set baking dish with potato skins in your work area
Spoon an equal amount of meat mixture into each potato skin
Top each portion of meat with an equal amount of mashed potatoes
Sprinkle with cheese (as little or as much as you like)
Return to oven and cook until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- 7You can garnish with diced green onions, salsa or any other item you desire.
These can be used as a side dish or a full meal.