Heirloom Tomato Gratin
- clove garlic, smashed
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil, plus more for the dish
- large sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp
- grated orange zest
- 3 Tbsp
- orange juice
- 2 tsp
- 4 lb
- mixed heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1?2-in. thick
- kosher salt and pepper
- 2 c
- fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 c
- (1 oz) grated romano or parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh thyme leaves
How to Make Heirloom Tomato Gratin
- 1Heat oven to 425°F. Rub the inside of a 2- to 2 ½-qt baking or gratin dish with garlic, then coat with oil.
- 2Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 12 to 15 minutes (do not let it brown). Remove from heat and stir in the orange zest, orange juice and honey.
- 3Scatter half the onion mixture in the bottom of the prepared dish. Arrange the tomatoes, overlapping slightly, over the onions and season with 1⁄4 tsp each salt and pepper. Repeat.
- 4In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, thyme and remaining Tbsp oil. Sprinkle over the tomatoes and bake until golden brown and bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes.