Green Beans with Pearl Onions
How to Make Green Beans with Pearl Onions
- In a small saucepan, bring a 4 cups water to a boil.
- Cut off the stem end of each pearl onion. Now rock your knife gently on the root end of the onion, making a shallow "X" cut.
- Now, working with 6 at a time, boil the cut onions one minute. Remove the onions from the water, draining them on a folded paper towel. Toss 6 more pearl onions into the boiling water to keep the production line going!
- When cooled a few seconds, pinch the root end of the pearl onion until the tender pearl pops out. You may have to give it a little encouragement, but it will work. Practice helps.
- When all the onions have been peeled, place a 3 quart or larger saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the butter to the pan, and stir in the pearl onions just as the butter melts. Turn the heat down to medium, and continue to cook, stirring frequently.
- When the onions are getting translucent, add the sugar. This step helps the onions to caramelize.
- Drain the 2 cans of whole green beans. Add them to the pearl onions, stirring gently.
- Turn the heat down to low, and simmer until the green beans are steaming hot. Keep warm until time to serve.