GREEN BEAN AND SWEET ONION GRATIN
Recipe & photo: BHG.com
- 1 pkg
- (16 oz.) frozen cut green beans
- 1 lb
- sweet onions (vidalia, maui, or walla walla), halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 c
- 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/8 tsp
- ground nutmeg
- 1 c
- chicken broth
- 1 c
- half and half, light cream, or milk
- 1 1/2 c
- soft bread crumbs (2 slices)
- 3 Tbsp
- grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- fresh thyme sprigs, optional
How to Make GREEN BEAN AND SWEET ONION GRATIN
- 1Cook the green beans according to package directions; drain well and set aside.
- 2In a covered medium-size saucepan, cook onion slices in a small amount of boiling water for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- 3For sauce, in the same saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add broth and half-and-half. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- 4In an ungreased 2-quart baking dish, layer half of the beans, all of the onions, and remaining beans. Spoon sauce over all.
- 5In a medium bowl, toss together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and oil; sprinkle over vegetables. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 325-degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes. If desired, garnish with fresh thyme sprigs.