Fresh Peas from the freezer
How to Make Fresh Peas from the freezer
- 1Pick the desired amount of peas you would like to put in the freezer. I live on a farm so we have about 16 five gallon buckets of peas at first picking and then usually about 8 five gallon buckets for two more pickings.
- 2Have them shelled or you shell them by hand. I hope I never have to shell another pea again. A pea sheller is this gal's best friend!
- 3Pick through your peas to get the trash and wormy peas out. *DO NOT PUT WATER ON THE PEAS! VERY IMPORTANT.
- 4Once you have looked through your peas, put them in a freezer bag (quart or gallon, depending on how much peas your family eats at one setting),get the bag air tight and put in freezer.
- 5When you are ready for fresh peas, take a bag out of the freezer, wash them, and put them in a pot. Cover modestly with water and bring to a boil. Boil your peas until they become the desired texture. Make sure you keep enough water in the pot that covers the peas so they don't cook down and stick to the pan. I usually boil mine for about 45 minutes because I don't like my peas real crunchy. I add bacon grease and salt for taste.
- 6Now enjoy the fresh taste of peas all year around.