Cuban Quimbombó (Cuban Okra)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 lbokra, caps and tips trimmed off
2 cvegetable oil
2 largeonion, minced
12 clovegarlic, minced
2ají cachucha pepper, minced
2 Tbsptoasted sesame seeds
1 cham stock or pork stock
·kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Cuban Quimbombó (Cuban Okra)
- Slice the okra into rounds and keep the pieces in cool water until ready to cook. Be sure to dry the okra well before adding to the pot.
- In a medium-sized caldero (Dutch oven), heat the oil over medium to medium-high heat until sizzling. Add the onion, tomatoes, garlic and ají. Cook, stirring, into a sofrito.
- Add the bacon to the sofrito. Using your spoon, break the strips of bacon up into smaller pieces
- Add the okra and toasted sesame seeds. Stir the ingredients well and add salt and pepper to taste. Pour in the ham broth
- Lower heat and cook until the okra is soft to the touch but not falling apart. Serve as a caldo (broth) or spoon over white rice for a thicker, heartier meal.
- Note: Aji Cachucha Peppers can be ordered on line from www.cubanfoodmarket.com or by calling 1-877-999-9945