Country-Style Tomatoes With Cream Cheese
Despite the number of ingredients it is very easy to make, and, dressed up a bit with sprigs of parsley or chopped green onions makes a nice company dish.
I wanted to include a photo, but I haven't made this in a while, so I substituted one from Bing. When prepared they don't look exactly like the photo, but close!
4 largetomatoes, ripe yet still firm
·salt and pepper to taste
8 ozcream cheese, softened
1/4 cminced fresh parsley
1 and 1/2 tspminced fresh basil or 1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 - 2 clovegarlic, minced
1 cbread crumbs (i use panko)
3 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin, or regular oil
How to Make Country-Style Tomatoes With Cream Cheese
- Cut thin slice off opposite sides of each tomato (to expose the flesh), then cut each tomato into four thick slices. Place on paper towel to drain. Salt and pepper tomato slices.
- Beat together softened cream cheese, parsley, basil and garlic. Spread mixture evenly over 8 of the tomato slices; top with remaining tomato slices.
- Put flour and bread crumbs into separate shallow bowls; in another bowl beat together the eggs and milk. Coat top and bottom of each tomato stack with flour, dip in egg mixture, then in bread crumbs.
- Heat butter and oil over medium-high heat and fry the tomatoes 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Enjoy!
- *When adding the cream cheese don't overfill or spread completely to edges of tomatoes, to lessen the chance of leakage.
*I often (carefully!) pat the flour and bread crumbs onto the sides also, then 'spoon' the hot oil onto the sides to brown.
*These are filling! So one each is probably enough for a side dish, or two each for a main dish - which the hubster and I usually do!