Black Eyed Pea Cakes Kicked up a Knotch
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 14.5 oz. cans black eyed peas, drained almost completely
- 1/2 c
- finely chopped cooked bacon
- small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 c
- (jarred) roasted red peppers, chopped
- to 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp
- salt and a few shakes of pepper to taste
- enough flour to bind pea cakes
- oil for frying (i use avocado oil)
- 2 Tbsp
How to Make Black Eyed Pea Cakes Kicked up a Knotch
- 1In a medium bowl, coarsely mash beans with a fork or bottom of a cup, adding bacon, garlic powder, onion, 1/2 tsp. salt, a few shakes of pepper, and roasted red peppers to mixture. You might choose to add some Tobasco or a little cayenne according to taste if you like. (Optional) Mix well.
- 2Add enough flour to the pea mixture to bind them into cakes. Don't be afraid of the flour because if you don't use enough you won't be able to handle them in the skillet.
- 3Make sure the oil and butter are plentiful and are very hot before cooking. With a tablespoon, place a heaping mound of mixture in the frying pan and carefully mash down to a slightly flattened patty. You can sprinkle a little bit more garlic powder at this point if you like.
- 4Cooking on high heat, fry each side until golden brown and crispy. This can happen pretty quickly so keep an eye on them.
Serve with sour cream.