BEYOND COMPARE BRUSSELS SPROUTS
Recipe & photo: Tasteofhome.com
- 1 box
- jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 c
- frozen sweet corn, thawed
- 8 slice
- 3 to 3 1/2 lb
- fresh brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp
- ground nutmeg
- 1/2 c
- finely chopped onion
- 1/4 c
- chicken stock (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
How to Make BEYOND COMPARE BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- 1Prepare cornbread batter according to directions; stir thawed corn into batter. Pour into a sprayed square baking dish and bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- 2In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Reserve the bacon drippings. Crumble bacon after it has cooled.
- 3Place the Brussels sprouts on a baking sheet and toss with reserved bacon drippings, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Roast for 15-20 minutes.
- 4Break the cooled cornbread into bite-size pieces and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it becomes golden and crispy.
- 5Add the onion to the same skillet the bacon was cooked in. Cook over medium-high heat until caramelized.
- 6Just before serving, toss the Brussels sprouts with 3/4 of the crumbled bacon, caramelized onions, and cornbread crumbs. If desired, use chicken stock to moisten mixture. Pour into a serving bowl and garnish with remaining crumbled bacon. Top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.