My Hot Diggity Dog Mac & Cheese
Pictures are mine
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Creamy mac-n-cheese combined with hot dogs, my oh my. This will be a hit with kiddos - big and small! With a hint of nutmeg, the mac-n-cheese alone was delish. Adding the hot dogs makes this a fun dinner!
We baked it up in a 9x13 baking dish. The Test Kitchen
- 1 pkg
- 16 oz macoroni or shell pasta
- 6 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted + the melted butter below
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted, melted
- 4 c
- milk, i use 2%
- 1/2 tsp
- fresh nutmeg, grated or can use stores ground nutmeg
- 16 oz
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- all beef hotdogs, sliced into coins - can use dogs of your choice
- 1 c
- bread crumbs, dry & plain
- 1/4 c
How to Make My Hot Diggity Dog Mac & Cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare the pasta as directed on the package except drain it at least a minute before aldente. (It will cook further in the oven).
Put the cooked macaroni into a good sized baking dish and set aside.
- 2Melt the 6 tablespoons over med-low heat in a sauce pan. Add the flour and stir continually to make the roux. Continue to cook the roux until it starts to brown. A light brown.
Add the milk a little at a time while stirring. After all the milk has been added, then add the nutmeg and continue to cook a couple minutes more until well incorporated and sauce looks thicker.
- 4The topping:
Melt the remaining two Tablespoons of butter and add it to the 1 cup of plain breadcrumbs and mix until the crumbs are covered with the butter.