Grandma's Cornmeal Mush With Cheese
I didn't learn to cook until my twenties, and after a few successes, I was, perhaps, a bit full of myself. Once at grandma's, I saw this and said "Oh, you're making polenta". When she didn't reply, I glanced at her, and saw sweet grandma, with her face turned away and her mouth twisted, trying hard not to laugh at her'uppity' granddaughter!
Grandma will be 102 March 5!
- 1 1/2 qt
- 1 1/2 tsp
- a few dashes of black pepper
- 1 1/2 c
- fine yellow cornmeal
- 4 Tbsp
- 1 c
- sour cream
- 1/2 c
- monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 c
- cheddar cheese
How to Make Grandma's Cornmeal Mush With Cheese
- 1Bring water to a boil in an oven-proof pan. When boiling, add salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- 2Stirring constantly, slowly trickle cornmeal into water. Stir well, to eliminate lumps. Return to heat and bring back to a boil. Turn down the heat and cook slowly until the mush thickens, about 20 minutes, stirring often. It should be about the thickness of thick cake batter - if too thick, stir in a bit more water.
- 3Melt butter, pre-heat oven to 350. Pour butter to cover bottom of baking dish. Spoon in half of the cornmeal mush to cover bottom of baking dish. Spread half of the sour cream over the mush,then sprinkle with half of each cheese. Repeat the layers - mush, sour cream, cheeses.
- 4Place in the oven for a few minutes, just until the cheeses are melted and the top is lightly browned. Serve and enjoy!