GARLIC CHEESE GRITS CASSEROLE
- 1 c
- crushed cornflakes (for topping)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- salted butter, melted (for topping)
- 2 1/4 c
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 c
- quick cooking grits (not instant)
- 10 oz. roll of garlic cheese, room temperature (see *note)
- 4 Tbsp
- salted butter, room temperature
- 1 large
- egg, lightly beaten in a liquid measuring cup
- 1/3 c
- milk (approximately), added to egg to make 1/2 cup total
How to Make GARLIC CHEESE GRITS CASSEROLE
- 1Lightly butter a 2 quart casserole and set aside, then, in a medium bowl, pour melted butter over cornflake crumbs and toss to coat. Set aside.
- 2Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 3In a 2 or 3 qt. saucepan, add water and salt and bring to a boil.
- 4Stirring constantly, slowly add grits, lower heat to medium low and continue stirring for 7 to 8 minutes (grits will be very thick.)
- 5Remove from heat and stir in garlic cheese and butter, until completely melted.
- 6Add egg and milk mixture and mix well, until thoroughly combined.
- 7Pour into prepared dish.
- 9Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1 hour.
- 11Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
- 12*NOTE: You may use this substitute recipe for garlic cheese, just be sure to make it ahead of time.
Serves: Makes 4- 10 oz. portions (4 rolls) Prep Time: 35 Min
3 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 lb american cheese loaf (velveeta), shredded
1 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat cream cheese, garlic powder and seasoned salt until fluffy.
2 Add American cheese and mix well.
3 Add cheddar cheese and mix thoroughly, frequently scraping down sides of bowl and scraping up from the bottom. (This takes several minutes to become thoroughly incorporated.)
4 Divide garlic cheese into four equal portions, wrap well, then refrigerate or freeze.
5 SUGGESTION TO DIVIDE AND STORE: Put cheese into a gallon size zipper bag. Lay on flat surface, press to remove as much air as possible and zip bag closed. Using a rolling pin, roll and flatten until smooth, even and pressed into each corner of bag. Using a sharp chef's knife, cut bag in half, then cut each in half again to make four equal portions. Place each in a quart size zipper bag and freeze or refrigerate.
6 To use frozen portion, remove from freezer ahead of time and allow to come to room temperature before adding to a recipe.