Dry County Cabbage Casserole
- 12 c
- sliced cabbage (cut into 1/4 inch slices)
- 1 stick
- butter, divided
- 1 large
- onion, chopped
- 1 medium
- bell pepper (any color), chopped
- 6 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 3 c
- whole milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 c
- grated cheddar cheese
- 1 c
- cornbread crumbs, cracker crumbs, or coarse bread crumbs
How to Make Dry County Cabbage Casserole
- 1Heat the oven to 350. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- 2Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cabbage and cook until tender but still bright green, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain well in a colander and set aside.
- 3Heat 6 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until the vegetables are tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in the flour and blend well, cooking and stirring about 1 minute to allow the flour to cook in the butter.
- 5Add the milk and stir until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- 6Remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the cheese until it is melted.
- 7Place the drained cabbage in the prepared dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the cabbage. Stir to evenly coat the cabbage with the sauce.
- 8Top with the crumbs and dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
Bake for 30 minutes.