Dry County Cabbage Casserole
12 csliced cabbage (cut into 1/4 inch slices)
1 stickbutter, divided
1 largeonion, chopped
1 mediumbell pepper (any color), chopped
6 Tbspall purpose flour
3 cwhole milk
·salt and pepper, to taste
1 cgrated cheddar cheese
1 ccornbread crumbs, cracker crumbs, or coarse bread crumbs
How to Make Dry County Cabbage Casserole
- Heat the oven to 350. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cabbage and cook until tender but still bright green, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain well in a colander and set aside.
- Heat 6 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until the vegetables are tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and blend well, cooking and stirring about 1 minute to allow the flour to cook in the butter.
- Add the milk and stir until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the cheese until it is melted.
- Place the drained cabbage in the prepared dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the cabbage. Stir to evenly coat the cabbage with the sauce.
- Top with the crumbs and dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
Bake for 30 minutes.