Brussels and Browns Casserole
Pictures to come.
- 15 to 20 medium
- brussels sprouts (cut off stems, peel outer leaves and slice very thinly)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 pinch
- 1 to 2 tsp
- seasoned rice vinegar (or use white wine vinegar)
- 2 to 3 Tbsp
- 1/4 tsp
- onion powder
- 1/4 tsp
- celery seed
- hot sauce (a few drops or more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp
- seasoning salt
- 1 to 2 pinch
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3 to 4 medium
- yukon gold potatoes (shredded on large holes of box grater)
- 4 to 6 oz
- shredded gruyere cheese (or any nutty flavored swiss)
- 1 large
- 1/2 c
- half and half
- 1 or 2 pinch
- fresh ground nutmeg
How to Make Brussels and Browns Casserole
- 1Preheat oven to 350F degrees and spray a 2 to 3 quart casserole with cooking spray, set aside until needed.
- 2Prepare the brussels sprouts and place into a medium microwaveable bowl or 8 cup Pyrex measuring cup. (If you have a mandoline, use it but be careful and use the finger guard. These need to be very thinly sliced but can be sliced by hand) Add the next ten ingredients (down to and including the pepper) Mix well and Microwave on high for 3 minutes, stirring twice.
- 3While microwaving the sprouts, peel and shred the potatoes. Do not rinse off the starch. When the sprouts are done, remove bowl from microwave(include any juices in the bowl),add shredded potatoes and about half the shredded Swiss cheese and mix well. Set aside.
- 4In another small bowl, whisk together egg, half and half, about 1/4 tsp seasoning salt (I use Johnnies)and nutmeg.
- 5Add sprout mixture to prepared casserole from step 1, pour the egg mixture over and top with the rest of the shredded Gruyere. (Alternate topping would use buttered Panko crumbs and then sprinkle with Gruyere and just a touch of fresh nutmeg grated over the cheese)
- 6Bake on middle rack for 30 to 40 minutes until fully heated and cheese is browned slightly.
Serve as is, or add a small dollop of sour cream to each serving and top with chopped chives for color. This is just a serving suggestion.