Bacon and Squash Casserole
- 5 c
- squash, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp
- green onions, diced
- 6 slice
- bacon, thick cut, fried crisp and crumbled
- 1 can(s)
- cream of mushroom soup
- 1 large
- bag fritos
- 2 c
- colby jack cheese, grated
- salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
How to Make Bacon and Squash Casserole
- 1Steam squash and green onions until tender. Fry or bake bacon until crisp, crumble.
- 2In large bowl add squash, onion, bacon, soup, 3/4 bag fritos and 1 cup cheese. Season to taste.
- 3spray 9 x 13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour squash mixture into dish. top with remaining fritos.
- 4Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes until casserole is bubbly. Top with remaining cheese , cover with foil and bake an additional 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
Add 2 cups diced chicken or turkey
Use cream of chicken soup instead of cream of mushroom
Use cream of celery soup instead of cream of mushroom and add 1 tsp (or more to taste) poultry seasoning.
Add 1/2 c dried cranberries.
To use as a stuffing for your turkey add all of the fritos and stuff your turkey.
I usually use the hickory smoked bacon but you can use cherrywood smoked, applewood smoked, maple, bourbon or whatever is your favorite flavor of thick sliced bacon.
You can use regular fritos, ranch fritos or chili cheese fritos.
this is a very versatile recipe. feel free to customize it to what your family likes.