Apple Sausage Dressing
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
3 largegayla apples
6 cboiling water
3 Tbspchicken boullion
2 lbpork sausage, mild
2 pkgsage and garlic stuffing bread crumbs
1/2 cturkey fat or melted butter
How to Make Apple Sausage Dressing
- peel, core, and chop apples into bite size pieces. Peel and chop onions. I chopped the medium onion very fine and the small onion into larger pieces to give varying textures and sizes. You can put these in the same bowl to reserve for later if you want to save dishes. Set aside.
- bring water to a bowl. Measure out 3 cups of water and mix with bullion. You can sprinkle parsley in here at this time to give it a chance to meld flavors together. Set aside.
- cook sausage until just done. If it is just slightly under done it will be fine because you are going to cook it an hour longer any how.
- put bread crumbs in large bowl, pour sausage and drippings into bowl with bread crumbs and set aside.
- in skillet place one stick on butter and melt. Place apples and onions in melted butter, saute for about 5 minutes until apples start to get tender
- pour 3 cups of boiling water and 3 cups of broth into pan with apples and onions, bring to a boil.
- pour liquid with apples and onions into bowl with stuffing and sausage. Mix well.
- break 4 eggs into bowl and mix into stuffing mixture. It is easier to mix with your hands to make sure it gets all mixed together but be careful because it may still be hot from putting the hot water in it.
- grease the sides of a large baking dish (bigger than 9 x 13). Put stuffing mixture in baking dish. Try to get it even. You can push down on it with your hands to make sure that there are no open cavities. The more evenly filled the pan is the more even the final product temperature will be.
- cover pan with foil. Bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil. Slowly drizzle turkey liquid or other fat onto top of stuffing. Bake for 30 minutes more until done to desired texture. You want to make sure it is cooked thoroughly because you have added egg to this mixture.