Crispy Kale and Mushroom Fried Rice
- 3 c
- jasmine rice, cooled
- 2 Tbsp
- peanut oil, divided
- scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp
- ginger, grated
- 4 oz
- fresh shitake mushrooms
- 8 oz
- 1 Tbsp
- hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp
- soy sauce
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
How to Make Crispy Kale and Mushroom Fried Rice
- 1Break up the cooled cooked rice into smaller clumps.
- 2Remove stems from mushrooms, cut caps finely. Prepare kale by removing thick stems and finely cut leaves.
- 3Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat until a bead of water sizzles and evaporates on contact.
- 4Add 1 tablespoon of oil and swirl to coat the base.
- 5Add ginger and scallions and cook for about 30 seconds, until just aromatic. Add mushrooms and kale.
- 6Stir-fry for about 3 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked through and kale is starting to get crispy.
- 7Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to pan.
- 8Toss in the rice and break up any remaining clumps with a spatula. Continue to stir-fry until the rice starts to turn golden, about 2 minutes.
- 9Add hoisin sauce and soy sauce and stir until well-mixed with rice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 10Transfer the rice to a large communal bowl or individual bowls and serve.