Ultimate Skillet Potatoes
3 lbidaho potatoes
1large sweet onion
1red bell pepper
8 oz*optional baby brussel sprouts
8 ozshitake mushrooms
4 Tbspkosher salt
4 tspblack pepper
1/2 cvegetable/canola oil
How to Make Ultimate Skillet Potatoes
- Cut up bacon @ 1/2" wide. Thin slice onions, medium thick slice the Red Bell Peppers, chop up mushrooms, peel and chop garlic (If adding alternate veg, i.e. Brussel Sprouts, prep now). Peel Potatoes and set aside.
- Preheat Cast Iron Skillet- High Heat (normal pan will work, but everyone should own a cast iron skillet, they're very affordable at Cabelas) add Vegetable/Canola Oil to lightly cover pan
- Add Bacon to pan, get browned, add onions, Bell Pepper, Mushrooms and garlic. Season with 1 tbl kosher salt and 2 tsp Black Pepper. Regularly mix/stir.
- Slice up Potatoes. Random thicknesses from wafer thin to max 1/4" thick. Why random thickness? The thicker slices will get tasty and crunchy, the thinner slices will turn into this wonderful "smoosh" that brings all the flavors together.
- Once veg mix "goes limp" and gets some good color, remove and set aside.
Bring pan back up to temp and add some more vegetable oil.
Preheat oven to 400
- Add Potatoes, season with 1 tbl kosher salt and 2 tsp Black Pepper and mix through. The KEY to this recipe is after the seasoning is mixed in...LEAVE IT ALONE, the goal is to get a nice golden crust on the potatoes. Wait a good 3-4 minutes before checking. Once you see golden brown, flip and repeat.
- Once you have good color add vegetables & bacon and mix through. Put entire pan in oven for @ 30 minutes, until thickest potatoes are tender.
- Remove from oven and enjoy! Goes great with ANY beef, Pork or chicken!